Work Group Goals
What is each work group charged with accomplishing?
Each of the work groups has a goal to accomplish and outcomes that will be achieved as a result.
Energizing the Educational Environment (EEE)
Goal: KU will strengthen its teaching and mentoring to position all students for lifelong learning, leadership, and success.
- Improved retention and graduation rates.
- Students empowered to make informed decisions about their learning through consistent, high-quality advising and mentoring.
- Students connected to KU intellectually and emotionally, from first-year through capstone experiences.
- Enriched educational experiences for students through experiential learning and redesigned courses.
- Students initiated for life-long learning through renewed, goal-based general education curricula.
Driving Discovery & Innovation (DDI)
Goal: KU will enhance scholarship broadly with a special emphasis on areas of present and emerging strength in order to benefit society and address its challenges.
- An enhanced identity as an international research university.
- Data-focused planning and accountability for discovery and innovation.
- Increasingly transdiciplinary, synergistic, and collaborative scholarship.
- Innovation, strategic risk-taking, and long-term thinking.
- An expansive view of scholarship embracing all forms of research and creative expression.
- Wider dissemination of knowledge and visibility.
Engaging Scholarship for Public Impact (ESPI)
Goal: KU will engage local, state, national, and global communities as partners in scholarly activities that have direct public impact.
- Recognition, facilitation, and support of engaged scholarship.
- Mutually productive partnerships with the community for engaged scholarship.
- Learning and scholarship experiences for students.
- Increase in scholarly activities by leveraging existing community engagement activities.
Elevating Graduate Education (EDE)
Goal: KU will prepare citizen scholars as innovators of knowledge ready to enter the workforce and take a leadership role in meeting the needs and demands of the academy and the global society.
- Rigorous data-based planning and accountability for doctoral education.
- Establishment of standards for milestones, completion, time to degree, outcomes, and placement.
- Mentoring of students to become professionals and scholars inside and outside academia.
- Comprehensive and sustainable funding model for doctoral education.
- Engagement of alumni, their employers, and other stakeholders in refining curriculum and extracurricular opportunities for doctoral students.
- Increased diversity of graduate student body and of graduates.
Will the work group plans be made public?
The work group plans will be made public in the form of a strategic map for easy visualization. We will also hold a town hall meeting in March for KU community feedback.
If you have specific questions about any of the work groups, any of the members would be happy to speak with you. We strive to make this as open a process as possible. You can also view minutes of their meetings and progress on the strategic planning website.