Nominations Open for Sr. Administrative Fellows
The University of Kansas Senior Administrative Fellows program is based on the philosophy from the American Council on Education (ACE) fellows, “Few institutions think systematically about the development of administrative leadership. Yet the skills and qualifications necessary for success as a professor are not the same as those required for success as a department chair, dean, or president.” KU has a wealth of talent within its faculty ranks. However, few faculty members have the luxury of taking an entire year off to participate in such excellent programs as the ACE Fellows.
To assist faculty who have an interest in or talent for administration, the Office of the Provost coordinates the Senior Administrative Fellows program. This program allows selected faculty to explore senior administration without having to take time away from teaching, service, or research.
A total of five to eight faculty members are selected from nominations each year as Senior Administrative Fellows. The Fellows work together for approximately four hours per month in exploration of the “nuts and bolts” of senior administration at KU. Fellows benefit from:
- Time spent with senior administrators at KU exploring the nature of the work they do and the challenges they face;
- Twice-monthly meetings designed to give a general overview of all the major units of the university including administrative units such as budget, human resources, general counsel, and governmental relations;
- Discussions on such major issues as academic leadership, the future of higher education, and public policy;
- Insight into senior level decision processes.
There is no stipend or release time offered or expectation of an administrative position at the conclusion of the year.
Eligibility: Tenured faculty members at the University of Kansas
Who will benefit? Faculty who would like to explore administration, especially current or rising faculty chairs.
1. Applicant should submit a letter of interest and current vita by May 6, 2016, to Mary Lee Hummert, Vice Provost for Faculty Development, Office of the Provost. Applications may be submitted either in hard copy to the Office of the Provost or electronically to email@example.com.
2. Department chairs (or deans if the applicant is a department chair) are informed of the application and asked for an endorsement.
3. Applicants will be notified about the outcome of the selection process in late May.
Mary Lee Hummert
Vice Provost for Faculty Development
Professor, Communication Studies
University of Kansas
+1 785.864.4904; Fax +1 785.864-4463; firstname.lastname@example.org