FY2017 Budget Cuts
Announcement from Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Neeli Bendapudi
The year ahead represents a challenge for the Lawrence and Edwards campuses as we work to deliver on our teaching and research mission while shouldering significant budget cuts. In these difficult times, it is essential we recognize and support our most prized resources — our people.
Toward that end, we are making every effort centrally to minimize the impact on faculty, staff and students through targeting reallocations. Centralized and targeted adjustments represent 41.46 percent of the $7 million FY 2017 budget reduction. Amounts assessed to administrative units, academic units, and line item cuts represent 58.53 percent of the adjustments ($3,784,314).
Specific centralized targeted cuts include:
- $400,200 reduction in faculty cluster hire program (3 of the 5 remaining budgeted positions)
- $311,600 reduction for Kansas Geological Survey
- $300,000 reduction for International Programs
- $200,000 reduction for Kansas Public Radio and Audio-Reader
- $70,000 reduction for the Kansas Fire and Rescue Training Institute
Despite these measures, unfortunately, we will have to leave several open positions unfilled across campus. We recognize this will reduce some levels of service. It’s more important now than ever that we function as a team and support one another.
The year ahead will not be an easy one, but like generations of Jayhawks before us, we will make it through together.