Budget Modernization Guiding Principles
Guiding principles were used by those undertaking the task of developing a new budget model. Our search for a new budget model should reflect and reinforce KU's shared values and priorities.
- Common Good: We have a responsibility to focus on the greater good of the entire university, rather than our individual units. The common good includes what is best for our students, academic excellence and the overall health and sustainability of the university.
- Transparency: As we go through the process of developing a new budget model, there will be the broadest possible participation, sharing of decisions, and next steps. Diversity of viewpoints is encouraged and accepted. Constant and direct communication occurs so all stakeholders are thoroughly informed about the new budget model processes and issues.
- Clarity: Simplicity is preferred over complexity.
- Innovation: While appreciating what is positive about prior budget models and approaches, we will encourage innovative planning to adapt the current environment.
- Responsiveness: We remain cognizant of changing environment and design toward nimbleness to respond to future campus changes.
- Respect (For each other and the product): The budget model will be a result of the investment and input from the entire leadership team and their consideration of feedback solicited from constituencies across campus.