Implementing Change to KUCE Independent Study Program
As you may remember, KU created a Center for Online and Distance Learning (CODL) in May of this year to better coordinate and support KU’s various distance learning activities. Dr. Jean Yoo serves as Interim Director. This center will administer the university’s Independent Study program, which was formerly housed under Continuing Education. Independent Study courses will be incorporated into KU’s central enrollment system and will move into a semester time frame. Independent Study courses will no longer allow students to enroll at any time and take up to six months to complete the course. We expect these changes to enhance course management, provide better learning experiences for the student, and help improve retention rates.
Below is a list of changes to occur for Independent Study courses within the semester-based model. These changes will allow some flexibility for students in completing their degrees by providing flexible start dates within the semester. These changes will enable students to add courses to fill out their schedules in the early weeks of the semester while protecting the integrity of the academic system currently in place.
- Students will enroll through Enroll & Pay.
- Students will have a flexible start date, allowing them to enroll during the regular enrollment period up to the 20th day. Students will have a minimum of 10 weeks and a maximum of 16 weeks to complete their coursework.
- All Independent Study courses must be completed by finals week and grade submission timelines will follow semester schedules set by the registrar.
- All policies related to withdrawals, add/drop, and swap will adhere to the university policies and procedures.
- July 2011:
- CODL will provide academic units with information regarding departmental courses offered through Independent Study.
- August 2011:
- CODL will submit the list of Independent Study courses to the University Registrar to be entered into the Schedule of Classes.
- Fall 2011:
- Independent Study courses will be processed directly through Enroll & Pay and offered as semester-based courses on the Schedule of Classes.
As is true of all distance education offerings, all decisions to offer an independent study course must be endorsed by the academic units and the relevant deans. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Jean Yoo at email@example.com or 4-4459.