LAWRENCE — Little things – a map, a bottle of water, a smile – can make a world of difference to KU’s newest Jayhawks. Faculty and staff volunteers are needed to make that difference and assist new students and their families during residence hall move-in day and the first two days of classes.
Faculty and staff can sign up to help welcome the newest Jayhawks through a variety of capacities, such as answering questions, offering cold water, or providing shuttle services on the renowned move-in day shuttle golf carts. Volunteer shifts are two hours and are located at Cora Downs Hall, Gertrude Sellards Pearson Hall, Daisy Hill, Park & Ride Lot and on Jayhawk Boulevard. Staff members need approval from their supervisors before signing up for a shift.
Residence hall move-in for sorority recruitment and marching band members will be the morning of Sunday, Aug. 13. Residence hall move-in for other students will take place all day Thursday, Aug. 17. Information tables also will be set up on the first and second day of classes, Monday, Aug. 21, and Tuesday, Aug. 22., in Strong Hall and on Wescoe Beach.
Volunteers need their KU nametag and a smile. Some roles require closed-toe shoes. Review or sign up for available volunteer shifts and opportunities.
Volunteer Opportunity Overview
** Please note: Break station and other volunteer tents and golf-cart shuttle services require volunteers to wear closed-toe shoes. Information tables do not have this footwear requirement. **
7:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 13
- Event: Sorority recruitment and band member move-in
- Volunteer opportunity: Break station tents
- Location: Cora Downs Hall (KU’s newest residence hall) and Daisy Hill Commons
- Details: Volunteers will answer general questions from students and guests during move-in. Chairs and cold water provided at break station tents.
7 a.m. - 5 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 17
- Event: Student move-in
- Volunteer opportunities: Break station tents, shuttle boarding tents, shuttle service drivers
- Locations: Gertrude Sellards Pearson Hall, Cora Downs Hall (KU’s newest residence hall), Park & Ride Lot, Daisy Hill near Irving Hill Road Bridge
- Details: Break station tent volunteers will answer general questions from students and guests during move-in. Golf cart driver volunteers will shuttle families between the Park & Ride Lot and the Irving Hill Bridge, as there is no parking on the Hill. Families will enter Daisy Hill via the Lied Center parking lot. Chairs and cold water are provided at break station tents.
7:45 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21, and Tuesday, Aug. 22
- Event: First two days of class
- Volunteer opportunity: Information tables
- Locations: Strong Hall Rotunda, Wescoe Beach
- Details: Volunteers will answer general questions from students as well as hand out water and campus maps. Volunteers usually stand, but chairs and cold water are provided.