Instructions to Complete Training
The Information Management (IM) training is delivered using the Blackboard course management system. The initial general awareness module (in two parts) is a non-technical tutorial required of all employees. It requires approximately 20-30 minutes, with notification of successful completion automatically forwarded to the employee's HR/EO personnel file.
Specialized training for employees handling student records, medical information, and/or financial/payment card information has also been developed and will be delivered using Blackboard also.
- Training process flowchart (28 KB)
Step-by-step instructions on how to complete the IM modules
On February 18, 2009, the Vice Provost for Information Services announced KU's new Information Management training program. This online training is split into two modules.
The first module addresses general information management, asking (and answering) questions such as:
- What is important information?
- What is sensitive or confidential information?
- What are faculty and staff responsibilities in keeping information safe?
- What is the potential harm to KU from a breach of information?
- What is the protocol for releasing information to others, including law enforcement?
The second module speaks to sources of common information security breaches and ways to prevent such breaches. Topics covered include:
- Secure computer use
- Secure Internet use
- Secure e-mail use
- Viruses, spyware and malicious code
- Password selection and management
- Social engineering
- Secure wireless networking
- Secure travel and remote work
- Personal protection and identity theft
As outlined in the announcement, newly hired faculty and staff (beginning January 1, 2009) will be enrolled in this training first, with pre-existing employees phased in over the following year. The training can be accessed via the following method:
- Go to Blackboard at courseware.ku.edu.
- If you are logging in with a KU Online ID and password, click the first Login button (Login using your KU Online ID and password.) If you are logging in with a non-KU e-mail address, click the second Login button (If you do not have a KU Online ID and have been provided with a special Blackboard login, you may Login here.)
- Under "My Courses," select Information Management.
- Click “Reading Materials” from the left menu and read through Module 1. Modules are provided in two formats for individual reading preference. If you wish, you may save the PDF files for later reference.
- Once you have finished reading Module 1, click "Take the Quiz" from the left menu and complete that module’s quiz. These quizzes are open book, so feel free to refer back to the reading materials if necessary. When the Module 1 reading and quiz have been completed, repeat the process for Module 2.
- You have unlimited attempts to pass the quizzes. Once you have passed both quizzes with a score of 100%, you are finished!
PLEASE NOTE: All staff will have 60 days from receipt of notification to complete this campus-wide mandatory training. We will send a reminder regarding this training requirement at 30 days. If you need assistance, contact the IT Customer Service Center at 4-8080 or email@example.com.
For more information on the Information Management Program, please visit www.provost.ku.edu/infomanagement. Thank you for fulfilling your role in promoting information security at KU.