The good work of the university doesn’t slow down in the summer months, even if the frequency of the Provost eNews does. For faculty, staff, and students away from campus this summer, I wish you the very best in your research and other pursuits. I am very excited to share with you progress that is being made on several important initiatives of the university.
Targeted salary increases planned for spring 2012
Our mission of excellence in teaching, research, and service depends upon our ability to retain excellent faculty and staff. That has been a priority for the chancellor and administration for some time, and I am happy to share with you success in that regard.
The tuition advisory committee, consisting of students, faculty, staff, and administrators, looked at the urgent needs on campus and developed a tuition plan that helps address those needs, while also maintaining the affordability of a KU education. On June 16, the Board of Regents approved that plan, which will advance a variety of learning opportunities, as well as create a 2 percent salary merit pool. Raises for faculty and staff will be allocated based upon merit in order to retain and reward excellence. The process for awarding these increases will be developed this fall with the increases going into effect January 2012.
I am pleased to announce that the interim positions in my office have been filled by two stellar individuals:
- Sara Rosen, dean of graduate studies and professor of linguistics, will become KU’s senior vice provost for academic affairs.
- Fred Rodriguez has been named vice provost for diversity and equity. Fred is currently the director of the multicultural scholars program, interim associate vice provost for diversity and equity, and associate professor of curriculum and teaching.
Additional Town Hall meetings: Changing for Excellence
Our consultants from Huron will be giving an overview of the Changing for Excellence process as well as a “midstream report” at the town hall meeting this Wednesday so that the KU community can hear what the consultants have learned thus far and give feedback. You are invited to attend this meeting, as well as the others scheduled over the next several months:
- Wednesday, June 29, noon–1:30 p.m., Pharmacy Building, #2020
- Tuesday, July 26, 8:30–10:00 a.m., Budig Hall, Auditorium #110
- Wednesday, August 24, 10:30–noon, Kansas Union, Woodruff Auditorium
- Tuesday, September 13, 9:30–11:00 a.m., Kansas Union, Woodruff Auditorium
- Tuesday, October 4, 3:00–4:30 p.m., Kansas Union, Woodruff Auditorium
- Thursday, October 27, 11:00–12:30 p.m., Budig Hall, Auditorium #120
To view earlier town hall meetings and for further information please consult the Changing for Excellence web page.
Updates on the strategic plan and planning for the fall strategic initiative summits will be included in the next Provost eNews.
This weekend I will begin my second year as provost. I thank the chancellor for her wisdom and support, as well as the many of you who have helped and guided me through my first year. I eagerly look forward to the new academic year and working with the KU community on the exciting opportunities in front of us.
Jeffrey S. Vitter
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Roy A. Roberts Distinguished Professor
This issue of Provost eNews as well as past ones can be found on the Provost eNews web page.